Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Berry Good Quick Bread


I looked for recipes this morning that would use some of the berries we have in my house, because I'm feeling really summery today and I thought that would be a good plan. The recipe I went off of called their finished product "squares," but either because of the alterations I made or because of their descriptive error, mine turned out much more like a cake or a quick bread. I was a little disappointed but only because this was not quite the light, fluffy, berry dessert I had in mind. However, it was delicious nonetheless, and it was very easy. I think it would make a good breakfast/coffee cake type thing. The recipe I've included here has the alterations (and there were quite a few) that I made already included, but I started with this one.


Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup orange juice
1 1/4 cups fresh blackberries
Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees C (165 degrees C). Lightly grease one 8x8 inch baking pan.
In large bowl beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well.
Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and stir to combine. Mix in the vinegar and juice. Fold in the blackberries.
Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool.


On another note, I'm obviously I'm moving very slowly on Vanity Fair. It's not that I'm not enjoying it or that I'm not interested, I'm just not as involved in it as I usually get into a book.

In other reading news, on my way back from South Bend Thursday, I listened to the first six chapters of Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights, which I am really liking. I will finish it between my drives there and back this coming weekend. I've also been reading bits of the beginning of The Help by Kathryn Stockett, which is written beautifully. I think I am so focused on finishing Vanity Fair, though, that I'm having trouble letting myself become really immersed in any "fun reading" at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention what's topping that bread: It's just a sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg mixture that I sprinkled on top before baking.

    ReplyDelete