Thursday, June 3, 2010

Break from the Cupcake Craze

Good morning :)

This morning I wanted to make something a little different since I've been going a bit cupcake crazy lately. We had a lot of cream cheese around the house, so I made sort of cheesecake-cookie bars.

My dad is so mad at me for constantly baking and tempting him with all the delicious treats that I had to do something to take the temptation out of this recipe for him--I added blackberries because I know he doesn't like them, and they also added a little more color and flavor to the cookies. I was really really happy with the way they turned out--they were really easy and tasty. I'll definitely be making them again.


Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
8 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pkg. blackberries (or another kind of berry)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cream together butter and sugar. Mix in flour. Pat into a 9 x 9 pan. (Reserve some for top.) Bake for 12 minutes.
Chop blackberries and sprinkle over top of crust.
Cream together cream cheese, sugar and add remaining ingredients Pour over berries. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over top. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool.

I cut mine up into bars, but they could also easily be left as a full cheesecake or pie. I found the recipe that I started with (and eventually changed around quite a bit) here.

1 comment: