Saturday, June 26, 2010

Crumbly Muffins

Yesterday morning I made these spice muffins to replace the scones that I didn't really like. I wish I had a few more spices on hand (mainly cloves) to add to them, and I also wish that I had included a little brown sugar and/or cinnamon in the crumb topping. However, they were pretty good and provided me and Katie Corr an adequate breakfast (and snack...and dessert...).


Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup cold butter or margarine
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup buttermilk (or substitute)
1 egg, lightly beaten
Directions:
In a bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 1/2 cup for topping. Add baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg to the remaining crumb mixture. Stir in buttermilk and egg just until moistened.
Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with reserved topping. Bake at 375 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment