Saturday, July 10, 2010

Comfort Food

I've been a bit of a couch potato today, but I still got of miscellaneous to-do list items done. I did make some tasty breakfast to go with my morning (or actually more like afternoon today) coffee.

I bought a bunch of bananas last week, thinking I'd eat more of them than I actually did, but also knowing that whatever I didn't eat I could definitely bake into something instead. That's basically what inspired this cream cheese banana bread, a little variation on the regular banana bread recipe that I usually use. Banana bread has always been a sort of comfort food for me...my mom and grandma made it sometimes when I was little, and Elyse makes it pretty often and always gives me a pretty generous hunk. To make a long story short: I love banana bread. I like the "reduced fat" kinds, I like it with chocolate chips, I don't mind it with pecans or walnuts, and I love it plain. Today, I tried this cream cheese kind, with a thin strip of cinnamon and brown sugar running through the center.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions:
Cream the butter or margarine and cream cheese together. Gradually add the white sugar, and continue beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the mashed bananas and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder, and soda; mix until batter is just moist.
In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, and cinnamon.
Divide 1/2 batter into two greased and floured 8x4 inch loaf pans. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over batter in pans, and top with remaining batter.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment