Saturday, July 3, 2010

Lemon Bars and Ice "Cream"

Phew. I'm home for the weekend so I finally have a little bit more time (and ingredients) on my hands. Hopefully you'll be seeing quite a few updates this weekend.

Luckily, I took a picture of these when I did, because they're completely gone now--the recipe yields an entire pan and I made them yesterday afternoon, so they were pretty well received. These lemon bars were quite tasty, with [I think] just the right amount of lemon. I cut some of them into regular squares, but I thought this flower looked cute and summery :)



Ingredients:
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, melted

4 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
5/8 cup lemon juice
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together 2 cups flour and brown sugar. Blend in the melted butter. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Combine the sugar, baking powder and 1/4 cup of flour so there will be no flour lumps. Stir the sugar mixture into the eggs. Finally, stir in the lemon juice. Pour over the prepared crust and return to the oven.
Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until bars are set. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.

I don't know if you can really consider this on baking, but I "stumbled upon" this idea online, and given my love for banana ice cream I couldn't resist seeing if it would really work. This banana ice "cream" is made from just bananas, which were frozen, pureed, and then frozen again. It was pretty good, and it definitely worked to get the right consistency of ice cream, but next time I'd consider adding maybe just a little bit of skim milk and a pinch of sugar. You could definitely add some chocolate chips, other fruit, or a spoonful of peanut butter too to give it some variation.

No comments:

Post a Comment