Sunday, July 4, 2010

Red, White, and Blueberries!

Happy Fourth of July! :) I've got lots of little red, white, and blue treats for today. I'll post them now before it's off to the waterpark with my little cousins before their birthday party.

I made both of these next recipes to take to their party. The first I have been saving for a few weeks now, just waiting for this weekend to use it since it's so festive. Here's my red, white, and blueberry cheesecake. It was my first try with phyllo dough, but I think I did okay (if after we cut it tonight it turns out I didn't, I'll make sure to report back).


Ingredients:
8 sheets phyllo dough
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup strawberry jelly
Directions:
On a flat surface, place one sheet phyllo dough. Brush it with melted butter or margarine, and cover with another piece of phyllo. Repeat until all 8 sheets are used. Using kitchen scissors, cut layered phyllo into a 12 to 13 inch circle. Carefully press circle into a greased 9 inch pie plate; gently fan edges. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) until edges are just golden, 6 to 8 minutes; cool slightly on a wire rack.
In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs until well combined. Fold in 1 cup of blueberries. Pour filling into prepared crust.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until set, 40 to 50 minutes. To prevent over browning of crust, gently cover pie with foil for the last 25 minutes of baking. Cool completely on a wire rack.
In a small bowl, beat jelly until smooth; spread over cheese filling. Arrange 1 cup blueberries on top in a star pattern.

You could definitely also just leave this as a blueberry (or whatever kind of fruit you had on hand to use) cheesecake, and I think it would be comparably delicious.


The next thing I made was a blueberry pie from a Weight Watchers® recipe my mom had. At first, I wasn't as excited about this one, but I ended up making my own graham cracker crumb crust and using the leftover crumb mixture as the topping, and now I'm really excited. I can't wait to try this one (I think I'll actually be tasting it before the cheesecake!).


Ingredients:
5 cups blueberries
1 graham cracker crust
3/4 c packed brown sugar
3T flour
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/4 t. grated lemon rind (I used lemon juice)
1 (8 oz.) carton low-fat sour cream
1/4 c. dried breadcrumbs
1 T granulated sugar
1 T butter or margarine, melted
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375*. Place blueberries in crust. Combine brown sugar, flour, vanilla extract, lemon rind, and sour cream. Mix well and spread over blueberries. Combine breadcrumbs, sugar, and butter or margarine to make topping. Bake at 475* for 40 minutes or until set and crumbs are lightly browned, let cool for 1 hour.

Finally, this morning I made my brothers and I some red, white, and blueberry pancakes for breakfast. I'm a firm believer that pancakes taste 10x better when made from scratch rather than from a mix (which is not to say I don't believe in the magic that is Bisquick, but still...), and I think this is the best recipe I've found for pancakes so far, at least when you're adding fruit.


Ingredients:
11/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted, plus more for serving
2 cups fruit (today I used sliced strawberries and blueberries)
Pure maple syrup, for serving
Directions:
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and vanilla. Preheat a nonstick griddle over medium heat.Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry. Stir in the melted butter. The batter should be thick and smooth. Fold in the strawberries.Spoon the batter onto the griddle 1/4 cup at a time. Cook the pancakes until set and thoroughly bubbly, about 3 minutes. Flip them with a spatula and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes more. Serve with butter and maple syrup.



Have a safe, fun, food-family-and-friend-filled holiday! :)

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so these blog posts are not helping with the fact that I don't have an oven in my apartment. Jealous! I miss baking.

    ReplyDelete