Monday, July 19, 2010

Sun Dried Tomato, Basil, and Feta Scones


Today I realized my banana bread has gone bad, and my cobbler is gone. I needed to bake something else, and I wanted it to be something that I could eat for breakfast but I would also consider eating with my dinner or as a snack, and something that wasn't too bad for me.

I landed on these delicious sun dried tomato, basil, and feta scones that I found when I was browsing foodgawker, my new favorite website, last night. I got the recipe from a blog called A Big Mouthful: Adventures In Food.

The scones turned out very tasty, but I think just for me personally I would use a little more basil and feta next time and a little less sun dried tomato, but that's just because I'm not a huge sun dried tomato fan. I think they'd be really good with soup or a salad, and I probably will eat them for breakfast as well.


Ingredients:
3 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
8 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
3/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, well drained of oil and roughly chopped
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt.
Cut in the butter piece by piece. Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter until it becomes the size of small peas, and is well incorporated. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
Remove the flour mixture from the refrigerator and gently mix in the buttermilk, feta cheese, sun dried tomatoes and basil, making sure to not overmix. You will have a sticky dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and roll out to a thickness of 1 inch. You can either cut the scones into triangles or use a cookie cutter to make circles. Place onto parchment-lined pans.
Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they are puffed and browned on top.


1 comment: