Sunday, May 29, 2011

"Strawberry Daiquiri" Cupcakes

For graduation, my parents got me this super cute cupcake tray...so obviously I had to fill it! :)

Lately I've been coming up with an idea for a frosting, or a flavor I'd like to use, or even just a consistency for something that kind of gets the ball rolling on a recipe and I just go with it. Today was one of those days...I decided I wanted to make something strawberry. In part it was because I was really craving the flavor, but I also liked the idea of doing something red, white and blue again for memorial day. That end of it really went no where, because the cupcakes I made ended up being pink, but the strawberry idea really took off. I've also been really into using different liqueurs in frostings or in batters, and I decided in this recipe I'd try something with the Piece of Cake Strawberry Shortcake Liqueur. The result was awesome--a "strawberry daiquiri" cupcake, with fresh strawberries baked into the cake itself and a beautiful (and delicious) pink buttercream frosting flavored with the strawberry liqueur.

For the cupcakes...

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites from large eggs
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup skim milk
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup fresh strawberries, chopped

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, shortening, milk and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Mix at low speed for 2 minutes. Scrape bowl. Add egg whites and mix at high speed until fluffy and smooth, approximately 2 minutes. Fold in strawberries. Fill liners 1/2 to 2/3 full of batter. Do not overfill. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

For the frosting...

Ingredients:
3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
¾ tsp. salt
3 tbsp. milk
2½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. Piece of Cake Strawberry Shortcake Liqueur
4 drops red food coloring

No comments:

Post a Comment