Thursday, June 30, 2011

Room

My grand Spain adventure was last week, and it was, in a word, incredible. :) I'd recommend heading over to my Facebook and looking at some of the pictures from the trip for sure. While it meant a week off from my baking adventures, it also meant a week for *drumroll*...FUN READING! For the first time I can remember in a while. I started the week with The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, knowing I'd breeze through the first novel of her young adult trilogy and get down to something a little more serious as soon as I'd finished. It was good--everything I look for in a young adult novel: good writing, intriguing plot, and a page turner. I was done before I knew it. I'm not quite ready to move on to books two and three, but I'll probably read them at some point.

I had a hard time narrowing down my options for a Spain book, but I finally landed on one I've been looking forward to reading for some time: Emma Donoghue's Room.


Again, definitely a page turner. I loved every minute of Jack telling me about his experiences with Ma in Room, and I was actually disappointed to reach the last page. Although I wouldn't say the book is flawless (come on! Where would the editor in me be then?) I think Donoghue's narration seemed both effortless and almost perfect as she wrote a unique novel on a horrifying topic. Reading it was a wonderful experience that I would highly recommend. Audrey Niffenegger, author of The Time Traveler's Wife and whom I had the pleasure of hearing lecture this past spring, gives Room praise that I think is both eloquent and quite precise:
"Room is a book to read in one sitting. When it's over, you look up: the world looks the same but you are somehow different and that feeling lingers for days."

No comments:

Post a Comment