Thursday, August 11, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Yesterday was my lovely mother's birthday, so of course I made her a cake. This vanilla cake with a mocha buttercream frosting turned out pretty yummy (whereas eating all the scraps for the rest of the day made me feel like a sick little fatty, but that's beside the point).


Also yesterday, I kept up with my reading kick, finishing the last two-thirds of Kathryn Stockett's The Help. I couldn't stop.


My grandma gave me this book a few months ago because both she and my mom had loved it. The movie came out yesterday, and I'm actually really excited to see it (maybe tonight?), but I had been meaning to read the book long before all the movie publicity started. I couldn't fit it in my luggage for Denver, but I couldn't get my nose out of it all day yesterday and wound up just finishing it. Stockett's prose was really amazing; I always find it incredible when a single author can capture many unique voices within one book and do so in a way that really distinguishes one from the other. After building this book up so long in my head (and then all the added publicity on it from the movie), I was surprised to find it actually delivered. I spent all day yesterday wishing I was more like Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan. Okay, okay, I'm still wishing it today. I'll report back about the movie, but it's time to go make some of Great Grandma's Maraschino Cherry cupcakes to take up north with us tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment