Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thanks, Gracias, Merci, Danke...

Sometimes (okay, often) when people do huge favors for me (like driving out of their way early in the morning to come pick me up), I repay them in cupcakes, by request of course. These are those cupcakes, and they double as farewell and thank you cupcakes for my NJ family's generosity in letting me stay with them for so long. They should also function as a virtual thanks to all those other people who have helped me in the past couple of months by giving me a place to stay, food, a hot shower, or transportation to and from train stations and bus stops.

I use recipes from all over the place--those I find on the internet mainly, but also from a variety of cookbooks or friends and family. This time, though, when I set out to make these red velvet cupcakes, Bakerella was the first blog to pop into my mind, and I went with that recipe. These cupcakes were incredible.




I realized at the last minute that I was out of eggs, but I substituted a quarter of a cup of applesauce for each egg. I've substituted applesauce for oil many times in the past, but never eggs, and I was a little nervous. But as you can see, these little darlings still rose up beautifully and had a great texture.


This rich, delicious cream cheese frosting was the perfect literal icing on the cake of an already amazing recipe. It's a pretty standard recipe, but this time I used fat free cream cheese (risky, I know), and I don't know, somehow it turned out just incredible.





Thank you for reading, if for nothing else :)

2 comments:

  1. Your signature red velvet!
    These look amazing

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I wish I could have given you one, but I dont think it would have made it overseas on any sort of appropriate timeline. Love you!

    ReplyDelete