Friday, November 4, 2011

NaNoWriMo

Ah yes, my new boyfriend. You may have heard of him. If not, this definitely fits under "pages," so I think I shall describe him a bit here. It took me a long time to work up the courage to tell you all about him, but then, isn't that the way with new relationships? I needed to make sure I was fully committed before I came clean, because if you like him, you might get too attached before I get attached, or I might get too attached before I'm sure he even wants me...you know how it goes.

For those of you who don't know, I have taken up an affair for the month of November with NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month, through which I will be [hopefully] writing a 50,000 word novel. The concept, as I understand it, is quantity over quality. A sort of word-vomit approach to novel writing (sounds romantic, right?), by which the goal is to try to simply get 50,000 different words on paper by midnight on November 30, having not concretely started in any way until the morning of November 1. A novel approach (baha. bahaha.), but for me, I think, the right one. I am sick of looking at that line at the top of my bucket list that reads "write a novel," and thinking "yes, one day, I will do that." So I have decided to let NaNo sweep me off my feet.

So far, my new boyfriend and I are getting along swimmingly. We'll see how long he holds up with me in the long run, when it's no longer about dinner dates (getting acquainted over chinese food on Wednesday evening) and fresh mornings (like our wonderful 1800 word rendezvous early yesterday), but has turned into me struggling to keep my eyes open as we make time for one another late at night, as, let's face it, it unfortunately always does. It's not that I don't care NaNo, it's just that sleep apnea runs in my family and, well, your demanding word count can sometimes be a lot to take. I like you more and more each day, but that's despite your demanding deadlines, not because of them.

I know, I know, if you're reading this, you're likely dying to ask me: "What's the novel about?" Please don't. You can follow my affair on my NaNoWriMo profile, if you're interested in checking my word count or things like that, and I'd really appreciate you cheering me on as I attempt to make this work, but I'm warning you, we like to keep our relationship between the two of us, so don't expect excerpts or things of that nature. Like any relationship, you, my friends, will probably only hear the bad parts and rarely the good. Either way, I thought I should be clear about the reason for my new relationship glow or the mood swings and lack of want of baking or reading (or increased desire for, that's yet to be seen) I may be exhibiting over the next month.

Here's to day four, a great 6,601 word start, and an amazing 43,399 to come. Everyone, meet NaNo. I think I'm in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment