Saturday, November 5, 2011

Vanilla Bean Cake

Next time, I think I'll let my mom bake me a birthday cake instead of requesting to try out a "fancy" ingredient instead. Don't get me wrong, this vanilla bean paste made this cake taste phenomenal. The frosting too. It just wasn't my day for baking or decorating.

You, you simple, delicious, only slightly lopsided cake you. You are what I was aiming for all along.


Looks easy enough right? Hahaha. If you know me, you might know that when I bake in a bad mood, I occasionally get grumpier. (Really, only occasionally! Usually it works to cheer me up!) Unfortunately, as I type this with two pretty badly burned fingers, I have to admit that as I baked this, I wasn't at my best--and probably partially because of that, this wasn't my best baking experience. How did I burn my fingers you might ask? Oh, melting chocolate for the cake balls. What cake balls? Good question. The ones I made out of a layer of this cake that completely stuck to the pan, breaking apart to a completely unusable consistency. Sure, the cake balls are tasty, but these ones weren't cute...or intentional. It just wasn't going my way tonight. The (next) second and third layers of the cake that you see here also broke apart, but I managed to salvage them, and after some [very] careful frosting, I think achieved a relatively smooth texture with the buttercream.

I have had this recipe a long time now, and I've been dying to try it out, but I don't usually buy things like the aforementioned $11 vanilla bean paste. I wasn't really up for an extensive meringue-frosting-making sesh this evening, so I made my version with an easy vanilla bean cappuccino buttercream. I mixed together my usual buttercream but with an added tablespoon of the vanilla paste, a dash of cinnamon, and soem instant cappuccino mix. Yummy.

Sorry for the shorter post, but as you may have guessed, this little project exhausted me nearly beyond blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment