Sunday, April 22, 2012

Dystopia, Dystopia

I took a trip to Boston last weekend with some friends and spent the entire time realizing over and over again how happy I am with how things are going in my life. In fact, one of the only things that could have made this weekend better would have been the ability to clone myself so as to attend Lauren Oliver's Pandemonium signing at Books of Wonder. The trip was so amazing that it was totally worth it, but I was sad to miss out nonetheless.

Last week, I read my first Lauren Oliver novel, Delirium. The concept intrigued me from the very first page: love is a disease.


I thought this futuristic, dystopian YA novel was well executed, despite some small world-building issues, and I am definitely invested enough to pick up Pandemonium, the second book in the series, sometime soon.

What I really can't wait for is the release of Insurgent, Veronica Roth's followup to Divergent, which I also read last week.


As my roommate set this novel down in my room, she said, "Here. Just...love it."

Tough claim. Im not so good with letting things live up to the hype. When Napoleon Dynamite came out in high school, and everyone was walking around quoting it almost daily, I believe it took me until an entire year later to even see it...and even then, I wasn't a fan. I just couldn't find it funny after everyone had made such a big deal out of all the jokes. Divergent spent many many weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, and if that weren't enough it's also one of my roommate's favorites. But somehow, it still held up to the hype. The characters were very well built, and the world was very well-built (or in this case, more like well-rearranged). I specifically appreciated that the novel was set in Chicago rather than New York as so many dystopian novels are these days. Of course, the novel wasn't flawless, and I thought the ending was a little rushed, but then again, when I'm excited and intrigued by the plot, I tend to rush my reading of the ending as well. 

On May 1, Veronica Roth is signing her second book, Insurgent, at the Tribeca B&N, and I can't wait to be there. Since I am sometimes the luckiest little reader you ever did meet, I've already got my hands on Insurgent and am flying through it, but you can bet I'll be there with bells on to meet Veronica and see what she has to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment