Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Bachelection

I know the baking half of this blog has been sorely lacking these past couple of weeks, and I apologize. But the good news is, it's finally the season for fresh fruit, and I just can't get enough. I've been cooking up many many recipes in my head this week, and I can't wait to try them out. Be on the lookout--the plan is grocery shopping ASAP and all kinds of breads, cookies, and crumbles to come.

In the meantime, I've obviously been reading. Lately, my reading list works something like this: finish last page of one book, deep breath, brief time for reflection, look around, grab nearest book in sight and begin reading. It's may not be the most scientific of processes, nor is it helping me to work my way through my long long "to read" list, but it's given me some interesting titles.

Most recently, that process led me to The Selection.


I loved the concept of this quick YA read. Basically, it's The Bachelor version of a futuristic dystopian world (or, in other words, the genre YA lit today can't seem to get enough of, mixed with a new unique concept). I actually watched the most recent finale of The Bachelor. Yep, I sat for an hour (or was it two? Oh, God.), and stewed in what a strange concept it is for these women to drop everything to surround an attractive guy as everyone searches for love. Ideally, the lucky bachelor falls in love with one--or, as the ratings will have it, many!--of these women, and chooses one to whom he proposes in the finale, and the two live happily ever after, so long as they both should...remain in the spotlight, it seems. And then they may or may not get a divorce. Actually, the kicker to me is that while the guy hopes to fall in love with at least one of the woman, the women are all expected to be in love with him. But, I digress. Obviously, The Bachelor itself is a really disturbing concept to me on many levels, so I knew this would be an interesting read since, ideally, it would bring many of the issues with these sorts of forced courtships to the surface.

In The Selection, America Singer and thirty four other women are given the opportunity to head off to the royal palace from their homes (be they rich or for poor) to compete for the heart of Prince Maxon and, ultimately, his hand in marriage. For even the richest of the girls, this means a huge step up the social ladder, but America doesn't want any of it--her heart is already taken, and she knows a life of royalty with Maxon isn't the life for her. Or so she thinks...

For me, the best part of this book was sadly, as I find it to be in so many of these types of novels, the concept. That being said, it was a very quick read, and I stayed wrapped up in the concept throughout. Worth a read, if you're still looking for interesting takes on the dystopian genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment