Friday, June 22, 2012

Finally, I baked!


Guess what?



I’ve been baking.

Not one thing, not two…three things lately!

First, I went home last weekend for Colin’s graduation party. He’s getting old too fast. Or wait, that’s what he said about me. But he really is! I was so glad I got to go home and spend some time celebrating with him and the rest of my family.

The day before the party, my mom panicked a little (of course) that she wouldn’t have enough food. That’s happened to her exactly once in my recollection, but now I think it’s always in her head and she can’t relax until she knows she’ll have more than enough (or in the case of this party, way more than enough). Anyway, she asked if I would make some cookies to go along with the huge cake, so I made a batch of oatmeal peanut butter cookies. The result: super moist and super delicious.



When I returned to the city, I knew there was much more baking in store for me, since last week was birthday week! My roommate and two of my coworkers were celebrating, and I had promised baked goods all around.

First, Snicker’s inspired cheesecake for my roommate:



The cheesecake had a graham cracker crust (which admittedly I slacked on and bought instead of making—but you know I usually do!), and then a lightly caramel-flavored and very creamy cake. I topped it off with a layer of walnuts covered in chocolate fudge. Seeing as it’s almost gone, I think she liked it!

My third creation was also by request, chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting:



I jump at the chance to make chocolate cake whenever anyone asks me, which is funny because I don’t really love chocolate cake. You can find my recipe (or at least the one I use as my base, usually with minor adjustments depending on my mood) here. But what I was really excited for was the frosting on these puppies. And it turned out deeeeelicious. Too delicious. I ate way too much of it whilst baking (and I’ve been so good lately!).

Here’s how I made that:
½ c. butter, just barely softened
4(ish) c. powdered sugar
1 c. creamy peanut butter (but even as I type this I think crunchy may have been an interesting texture idea)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. milk (I used almond, because that’s what I keep on hand, but any kind will do)
Cream together, and voila! Tastes just like peanut butter…but so. much. naughtier.

No comments:

Post a Comment