Sunday, July 8, 2012

Bananas for Bananas!

I am nuts about fruit this summer. I cannot get enough of it--so much so that I've started having to limit my fruit intake slightly, since I think I'm actually eating too much sugar from it! I mean it, bowls of cherries, fresh apples, peaches, plums...I even started to like kiwi. And bananas, oh bananas. The sweet, meaty fruit that's so good for baking. I'm an addict, I can't help it. 

Yesterday, I had a delicious, banana food-filled day, starting with these single serve banana pancakes. 


I combined:

1/3 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 a banana (of course, I ate the other half)
1/4 c. almond milk
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
A dash of vanilla extract
A dash of cinnamon

I mixed it all up, and got two large, sweet, delicious pancakes from the mix. I enjoyed them with a small pad of butter and some cool whip free. 

After that, I made this healthy, vegan twist on banana bread. I adapted the recipe I found on one of my new favorite blogs, Rabbit Food for my Bunny Teeth. It was my first attempt at cooking with ground flaxseed, and I'm calling it a successful one!


Ingredients:
2 c. whole wheat flour
2 c. very ripe mashed bananas
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (I was very generous with this)
2 tbsp. ground flaxseed meal + 6 tbsp. water
1/4 c. almond milk



In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed and water, mixing occasionally until it has formed a thick, gooey substance.

In another small bowl, mash bananas and almond milk together. Here, I added a packet of Splenda, because my bananas were not as ripe as they should have been, and therefore not as sweet. You could eliminate this step if your bananas are a nice ripe brown.

Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and then pour in the wet. Mix everything together, and pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 300* for 45 minutes to an hour, cool, and enjoy!





1 comment: