Sunday, July 8, 2012

Between the Lines

Jodi Picoult goes YA! I've been excited about this one for quite a while, since my YA-loving self has been reading Jodi Picoult since I actually was a young adult.

For this novel, Jodi teams up with her daughter, Samantha van Leer, for their take on the classic fairy tale. 


This book read a little young to me for the age group it was aimed toward (12 and up). It was a very quick, light read, and altogether enjoyable but by no means my favorite. The idea--what happens inside our favorite books after we close them--was creative, and the story well told, but the main characters fell a bit flat. The illustrations (not to be confused with the little clip arty silhouettes, which I found to make the book even more childish) were gorgeous and nicely paired with the colored text.*

Mostly, I hope Sammy keeps writing. Any novel at her age (she's a high school junior)--or at any age for that matter--is impressive, and I hope to see her storytelling grow and mature as she continues. Actually, I'd love to see her try her hand at screenwriting.





*How is it possible that this incredibly commercial YA novel is able to have multi-colored text and sell for roughly $15 and Hemingway's The Sound and the Fury--released now in color as he originally intended it--is going for $345? Grr. It's not that I don't see the value of one over the other, I'm just so sad that I can't afford the colored Hemingway.

No comments:

Post a Comment