Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls

I was thoroughly creeped out by this book. Don't worry--I'm pretty sure that was the intention.



I've been hearing rumblings about this book for a while (in the slightly moving walls of my mysterious old mansion--no, no, wait, thought I was in the Cavendish home...) and was waiting to get my hands on it. So imagine my excitement when I pawed through the Where's Waldo tote I landed at BEA and found an ARC in it. Wooo for a job that supports my habits!*



This middle-grade novel somehow combined all my favorite parts of stories like Matilda and The Stepford Wives with almost every creepy movie and scary story I watched or heard as a kid. It was excellent. It was extremely fast-paced, and really really scary, but still appropriately middle grade. I loved it. 






*In case I haven't mentioned it, I'm a firm believer that you should get a job that supports your habits, thus negating extra expenses. In high school, I got a job that got me free french fries. In college, free coffee. In my post-grad life, free books. And free coffee, and sometimes even free french fries, come to think of it. Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment